PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia commenced BNE-LAX today
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 22:05
ad-astra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maui

At no stage have I criticised the decision of others to take whatever job they choose to. In fact I think you will find me defending a young guy several months ago when he was seeking interview information and the critics pounced on him for even considering VA. Do the search.

And I will keep on saying that I hope the Airline matures into a career that is sought after.

But its the comments of a few of the "defenders of the faith" that leaves very little confidence that they will make any effort to improve their own conditions nor do they realise that they should be on better conditions

If you are happy with a contractual maximum of 9 days off a month, remuneration that increases when the company 'chooses' to 'review' it and 1000 hours per year then I don't see a problem.

The comment of "one of the cream jobs in Australian Aviation" was not mine but one of the 'faithfuls' earlier in this thread.

It is this attitude that you will be fighting against when you find your roster is full to the brim with paxing sectors, reserve days down route, training days, and a bucket load more flying in all directions of the compass. Will this young man still have a smile on his face?

When the schedule changes and a reduced overnight in LA is introduced will the boys 'scooting' around the LA freeways still be having a 'fantastic' time in their 'fantastic' job.

When the company introduces Asian destinations or domestic sectors which could make better use of both aircraft and crew and the 13 days off a month reverts to the companies contracted 9, will the excitement and wonderful lifestyle still be there?

You can guarantee some things.
1000 hours per year
9 days off per month
Your salary.

Any better than that and I will guarantee that there is one very pizzed off VA accountant working his very best to use you to the maximum that is allowable under your contract.

They did not put 9 days in the contract and wake up the next morning and say - these pilots are great guys we will give them half the month off instead!

You will have to fight for anything better!

The biggest problem that you (collectively) have in improving your T&C's is the attitude from the "Whew! - I made it" guys.

I see that attitude being displayed in some of the previous posts.

Next biggest problem will be the pizzed of VA accountant!

Enjoy the job and good luck.