PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Verse JAA Do Both ??? Give yourself the best chance possible !!!
Old 21st Apr 2009, 19:19
captainvampire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA Verse JAA Do Both ??? Give yourself the best chance possible !!!

I know I am going to get hammered with this thread but, if I can make the difference between someone getting a job in this industry and not I will feel the retaliation will be worth it.

Like so many wannabes years ago I was trying to do my homework and find the best and quickest route to becoming a professional pilot.
I spoke to friends in the industry and took as much advise as possible, (as I’m sure you are all doing)

So 15 years later this is the conclusion I have come to, argue it if you want it is only my opinion.
If I were to do it all over again I would not even bother with the JAA PPL (7 written Exams) you do not need a JAA PPL to take your JAA CPL Skills Test.

So that been said I would have gone straight to the states and done my FAA PPL (1 Written) Multi, CPL (1 Written) and IR (1 Written) , either instructed or do an airline program to get to 200 or 300 hours. This can be done in about 6 months. Some schools will take you on to work for them after you get your licences so you can do this, it can be done on the M1 visa.

Then I would have gone back to the UK and done the ATPL written’s and when they are complete you would already have the requirements to take your ICAO(FAA) PPL/CPL with the written exams to a school there and get your JAA CPL and JAA IR training as required.

I have never been asked in 15 years by any airline or charter company ive worked for where I went to school to do my written’s for the ATPL’s !!!
When ever I have had an interview if your personality fits you will be given a sim check and the true test of your flying ability will be assessed there.

So not to ramble on to much but I just wish some one had told me how to get both tickets FAA and JAA when I started this venture as a couple of times I have had jobs flying N reg aircraft overseas and had to go and do my FAA licenses. I think I remember reading somewhere that out of 11000 business jets in the world 9000 of them are on the (FAA) N reg, just go and park up at Farnborough for an afternoon and have a count.

If I have caused any confusion please ignore my comments, but if I have helped anyone in their career path that’s great.

Good Luck