PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruitment
Thread: BA recruitment
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2002, 11:30
noblues

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

To set the record straight about dosh ...... I'm a DEP on the Airbus at LHR, joined 2 years ago and averaged a take home last year of £2850 ....... Like many I took a pay cut to come here and threw away a jet command.

The overiding reason I joined was LIFESTYLE ...... I NEVER have a roster change unless its to take a trip off me and give me the day off ..... the only downside is approx 1.5 21 day reserve periods per year of being messed about.

The bid system favours seniority, which although I have as an FO on this fleet due my age (mid 30's) I will never have it on any other fleet, especially as a Capt. ...... BUT even on a 'blind line' I get to ask for days off and most people get 75% of what they ask for .... Most other companys do not even offer that ....

I will retire about 1200 seniority, probably never see a long haul command .....

If you have never flown out of LHR before on shorthaul think carefully .... Its hassle to get in and out from, hassle getting to and from the a/c and park park etc ..... although a lot of 4/5 day tours on the airbus if you don't mind being away ......

Another reason for me joining was the lure of a good final salary pension retiring at 55 ..... BUT if that has now gone think carefully before signing on the dotted line ....

Also, now the City Flyer guys are on the main list seniority and loads of people under 30 you may wait 8-10 years now days for a LHR shorthaul command ...... (was about 6 years if you joined 2 years ago ...) ....

Think carefully ..... Lifestyle is good BUT seniority and pension issues, plus huge impersonal company .... never fly with same people ....... ???