PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you self-brief for met?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 15:07
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
self briefing

TV forecast for general picture (definitely BBC - ITV is a complete waste of time), is anyone else sad enough tp know all the BBC forecasters by name or is it just me?

Preflight weather briefing fixed wing aircraft for long distance.

Metoffice 215/214/414/415.

TAFs, Metars, Jersey ATIS - my frequent fuel stop (phone line).

UK or European weather radar (free from European aviation weather centre - great last Wednesday flying back to Plymouth - I have a stormscope but no Wx radar - just before departure I checked and was certain all the heavy precip/CBs had moved to the West. If it hadn't I would have driven home rather than flew).

Significant weather charts for Europe (to get an idea of the level of the tops).

If it looks rough and I'm really uncertain whether (i:e it's not a definite no go) I have been known to call the duty met forecaster at the Met office in Exeter for £17. Their attitude can really colour your judgement i:e "yes we have to put isol CB on all forecasts but the chances are you'll be fine crossing this front" versus "severe convective activity is forecast on your entire route along with freezing rain - the tops are looking like FL260". I've called them 5 times in 5 years of European IFR flying.

In flight - volmet and ATIS, very occasionally I bother ATC with a request for weather at XXXX. London info seem to spend a lot of time getting this data for Ryanair etc...

Helicopter for shorter distances (departing from my back garden) - look out of window, see if I can see the top of Kit Hill, call friend whose back garden I'll be landing in. Kick tyres. light fires, go flying.

SB