PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 14:41
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chug,
at this present time, the primary goal for the Campaign is to secure the removal of the unsustainable slur against Rick and Jon, and for the words 'Gross Negligence' to be permanently removed from their record.

I also agree that any lasting legacy should not be in their names, but in the names of all who made the ultimate sacrifice due to the cost cutting efforts of others. I would suggest that that particular campaign should be orchestrated by someone with more influence than individuals such as me. I would hope that, perhaps, a body such as the National Audit Office or a brave Member of Parliament might take up that baton. I have said, before, that I would like to hang up my 'irritating' boots once Rick and Jon's names have been cleared, but would willingly support anyone who would seek to ensure a more robust and transparent airworthiness procedure.

I have already made comment to one, or two, influential people in respect of airworthiness and introduction into service of equipment in the hope that they will take the matter forward at some point.

Chinook 240,
thank you for the up to date information in relation to FADEC, and the limited rewrite. Interesting that you say that The Rev 1 version software only removed the spurious Eng Fail caption by reducing the sensitivity of the routine. Are you aware that on 17 May 1994, ZD576 had the Emergency Power Caption light illuminate three times, indicating an engine problem, and on 25 May 1994, the Master Warning Signal was activated, indicating that the Nš2 (right hand side) engine was about to fail? Spurious, or not, I'm sure this would be quite distracting.

Perhaps, encompassing everybody's theory (and being slightly fanciful), the crew had just made the waypoint change when a spurious Eng Fail caption light came on, the crew then made a slight turn to the right to make landfall for an emergency landing and, due to the distraction, hit the Mull. I can't prove that to be correct (and actually doubt it to be correct), but there is no-one who can actually prove it wrong, based upon what little evidence is known. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever? I don't think so.

I'm also very grateful that you continue to fly Chinooks. You, and your colleagues are doing a magnificent job and deserve the thanks of the Nation. I hope that by being as irritating as I am, and making the MoD be more careful about what they release into service, I am still doing my bit too.

Mr Purdey,
Why do you continually press for answers, yet offer none in return? Hardly cricket, is it?

My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook

Last edited by Brian Dixon; 21st Apr 2009 at 15:43.