PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia commenced BNE-LAX today
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 14:06
ad-astra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maui et al,

Without the personal attacks - VA have ONE port that is currently used by the current protagonists for
"THE Lifestyle" that will exist for ever more.

MISTAKE # 1 - All and sundry will very definitely find very quickly that our bean counters will be able to fill all except 9 days in a month with either flying or rest enroute.
Your calculations mean nought when the current schedule changes and they start doing North/South flying or the schedule changes from LA only.

MISTAKE # 2 - Believing that the 'Fantastic Times' that exist now will continue unabated for years to come.

Case in point - VB in the early days - we had great overnights with crew that were more than happy to enjoy the time off on the overnights.

Currently - We have min rest on most overnights with crews totally stuffed in the crew bus and all they want to do is crash in their own bed.

I'm not trying to rain on the VA parade but the "Fantastic" times described by some and the belief that this is the "one of the cream jobs in Australian Aviation" sends chills up my spine.

I wish them well but please open your eyes!

Cretins and Dills aside approx 800 VB pilots were offered opportunities with VA and the vast majority said no.

Every VB Captain was offered a 777 Command in VA and the total acceptance was less than 10!

Perhaps some of us have enough insight into the ways of Virgin that caused us to look further than the first 12 months of operation.

As for your statement regarding remuneration, time off and toxic environments I am more than happy to be guaranteed a minimum of 11 in 28 with an average of 15 in 28 - earn THIS year over $60,000 more than my 777 compatriots and live in Brisbane and have a salary that is guaranteed to increase over the life of the EBA.

For all who join VA - enjoy the opportunity and I hope that someday it will offer the rest of us in VB an appropriate advancement in our careers but for heaven's sake get a reality check.

I don't know how to put it any less offensively!