PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA Gen. Sec. Elections
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2002, 09:51
Roobarb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wakey wakey!!!!

I have to agree that sadly, our union has been completely impassive during the wholesale destruction of our terms, conditions, and status over the last ten years. During that time some of our union officials have turned gamekeeper, whilst others have let management off the hook – particularly in 1996 with BA.

At Big we were sold New Bidline Rules which have significantly affected our lifestyles for the worse, and entered into an agreement known as Guiding Principles, which has made a laughing stock out our profession. Principles are tenets adhered to by gentlemen, a rare commodity in BA management. New joiners to BA have been sold down the river, very sadly by our most senior colleagues who sacrificed the rookies salaries to retain their own more generous remuneration.

To be offered simply more of the same is not acceptable to me as a BALPA member. It is frankly an insult to assume that we are so indifferent to the decline of our profession that we will simply rubber-stamp the re-election of a man who has failed to deliver a second time.

John Frohnsdorf may not be intending to take up the post himself, but at least he is going to give BALPA back to its members, which can only be a good thing. Then we can have a real race with real candidates. My choice would be a gentleman of some legend, Chris Lankey, if ever there was a name to strike fear into the ‘hearts’ of management it would be him. They would wake in a cold sweat at 2am.

And when we do get a new election campaign, could I ask that we all get up off our fat behinds and take some interest. Complacency and indifference has got us into this mess. John’s election would give us a second chance, at least we could have the decency to take it.

I’ll take on the opposition anyday, it’s the management I can’t beat