PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Precautionary Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 12:57
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, on closer inspection of the Cessna checklist published above, I do have a couple of issues with the advice offered there...

It's a precautionary landing of a perfectly serviceable aircraft in a place other than your intended destination. That Cessna checklist is bloody near well on the way to creating an emergency situation out of what should be a relatively low-stress out-landing... avionics off, electricals off... what happens to the bloke reading that under a little more stress than usual that then goes and flicks the ALT/BAT masters off too, thinking that's what the checklist said to do -in the process robbing himself of lights, radios, flaps etc.??? Not overly helpful. (yes I do know it mentions the Master later after flap-extension, but...)

Then immediately after touchdown the checklist wants 1st the Ignition selected to OFF and then the mixture to idle-cutoff! That more than a bit arse-backward (hot engine, fuel in the induction) to my way of thinking -not to mention unnecessary at that point. Better yet, the master will still be on so you can get the flaps up and the aircraft weight on the mains, the pilot will then concentrate on controlling the aircraft landing roll, then perhaps later in the landing roll (when everything is well under control) mixture to idle-cutoff and switches off -if necessary.

Don't reckon there was necessarily a helluva lot of thought put into that particular checklist -heaven forbid anyone take it as absolute gospel and act on it in the event of a live precautionary. Hands everywhere like that means concentration ain't where it outta be. Lots of potential there I reckon.