PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extended break from flying?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 11:31
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 3 years out from fixed wing between 2001-2004. I had about 600h TT prior to the break with an IR.

I was tutored in the dark ways of the helicopter pilot in 2002 and stuck with that as a sole aviation pursuit until I realised that cars below me travelling in the same direction would often be able to overtake my lowly R22 especially if there was a hint of headwind.

I got back into fixed wing (and changed the 22 to a 44) in 2004/5.
It's like riding a bike though - you'll get back in to it pretty quickly if it is VFR.
As far as instrument flying is concerned, I found refreshing this took more time - I flew with an unshakeable old albatross (retired jet captain) who got me up to speed pretty quickly.

Currency is a major issue for everybody, whether it is night, instrument or plain A to B VFR. Staying current costs money and right now I think a lot of people will be letting things go a little to save cash.

Right now I reluctantly have my plane for sale - if it is sold (and it may well not be in the current climate as I am not happy to give it away at a silly price - most buyers expect you to be desperate for cash if your aircraft is for sale at the present time) then I will have to go through the entire refresher process again.

SB