PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Civilianisation of air support
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 07:27
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAB

For once you and I can agree over something. I suspect that in this case the people making the decisions know little of the front line tasks and just how 'tuned-in' the observers have to be to work effectively. This first step away from the normal police helicopter crew is not the one to fear. It's the next one where the temptation to dilute basic crew skills further is likely to be the problem.

The difficulty is the finacial side of things is not getting any easier. I had the pleasure of flying the Met back in the late 70's and getting the cash for a Bell 47 was tricky - and we were the only ASU in the country! Now look at things. ASUs have proved their indispensability but the cops cost a lot and their pensions are costing them dear. Something has to give so I guess saving a few quid on a DUEO is seen by some as an acceptable move.

I suspect that the next year will see many of our government funded organisations (including the cops and the military) making some difficult choices as we run out of cash.

The last time this happened the RN cut back on stationery and we ran out of paper. This resulted in the famous base-commanders temporary memo making it compulsory for paper to be used on both sides before being discarded. One wag stuck a copy on each toilet door.

G