PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What age did you get your first flying job at?
Old 20th Apr 2009, 21:57
mattyh1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
University

I opted to go to university.

I'm now 22, £16,000 worth of debt and a 2.1 In business studies. Would I change it if I had the time again....hell no!

I want to become a Pilot and I'm so grateful I have my degree, especially when all you read is about people struggling and having to find other ways to make money. My 2.1 opens doors to undergrad schemes, and makes me more employable, and if I cant get employed I have a lot of business ideas and can just start my own business (my degree was Business Studies: Entrepreneurship, so I did 3 years of how to start up and grow businesses)

However, for me the most important thing about university was my time on the UAS (University Air Squadron). I had unlimited (within reason) access to free flying, with instructors of the highest calibre. I gained 38 hours and didn't pay a penny, infact they paid me. The flying opportunities within the UAS are excellent, and there is always windows to get a free ride in other RAF aircraft, Merlin's, Chinook's, Tucano etc..

As well as the flying, you gain so much life experience, the UAS is designed to mould people into officer candidates so its all about promoting leadership and teamwork. There are excellent opportunities to travel and go on expeditions as well, I was lucky enough to go Skiing for a week I paid £300 for it but I got paid while out there and earned £350 so over all a profit of £50 for going skiing for a week (thank you very much). As well as skiing I've done surfing, caving, white water rafting, diving, and that's just a few and just scratching the surface of the opportunities available within the UAS. If you do go to uni, i fully advise you to join it.

In your FTO and Airline interviews when they ask you about leadership and teamwork you will be able to talk for hours.

Now I'm about to sit my finals (start in 3 weeks) and then I will either get a job to save up for training or have a chat with Mr Bank manager depending on when I see the economy picking up.

Don't be so quick to dismiss university, they say during a time of recession the best place you can be is education.