PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you cope with Captains from HELL?!?!
Old 8th May 2002, 06:29
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Captain Stable: excellent points, but in the US, going to the company for fairly minor SOPA deviations from the book, if only that instead of a personality conflict, can make you look like an Enemy Collaborator, depending on whether you go straight to a Chief Pilot and your corporate culture etc.

Of course, we have some cowardly pilots at a certain unpopular crewbase in the state of Minnesota (the base, where some flight attendants quietly devour the Captain's crew meal while enroute on a 744 to Narita: heard it first hand) will secretly write you up for telling a dirty joke. Yes. Very unique corporate culture in such an "enlightened" state.

On the somewhat lighter side, a possible problem with telling about three Captains that you had a very awkward 2-day trip with a certain guy, was that at least one of them might 'jokingly' say to you on purpose, "I hear you are flying with %#@", just as Captain %#@ is walking by or mutter something to four other guys. Many nice guys can forget their normal diplomacy after they know your 'secret', especially when the guy (or gal) with whom you have a problem, has many more years seniority than you have.

Trust almost nobody with the actual name of the person, and tell your union safety person but avoid any talk to the company (that can be really cowardly and chicken****: some guys think it will make them look better, as can happen with backstabbers in the military) unless absolutely necessary. Many of our older Captains are bigger blabbermouths than a bunch of old ladies (like my ex mother-in-law) at the local "Beethoven Club" and other small groups run by fussy, very old busybodies (like in BBC's "Keeping Up Appearances")-no kidding about many of our Captains.

By the way, many years ago either the FO or FE on the ill-fated Western Airlines DC-10 at Mexico City knew about construction on the runway, but the Captain had told the FO something like "If I need anything from you, I'll rattle your cage". The other pilots kept quiet and maybe assumed that the Captain would spot the problems on the runway? There must be many cases of this during past accidents. The DC-8 over Portland, the Jetstream 31 at Hibbing, MN...

Last edited by Ignition Override; 8th May 2002 at 06:51.