PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you do with experienced pilots on a JAR training flight?
Old 20th Apr 2009, 16:07
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the considered replies.
I certainly agree about the poor PFL performance of many PPLs, and also the value of many of the exercises that have been suggested but these didn't apply in this case.

VFE - that's sort of what we did plus a PFL, a touch'n'go on a very short strip, and a 360 degree level turn without use of aileron or elevator.
If I was doing it again I think completion of an approach to 50 feet without use of aileron and elevator might have had some value, and maybe a circuit while having to reach across and use the P2 stick (simulation of disconnected P1 control column).
This might seem like stretching reality a little but a few years ago I was teaching stall turns (hammerheads for those in the colonies ) to the right and we were half-way up when there was a little "eek" from the left seat. I looked over and saw that the chap was holding the top part of the stick, with some wires hanging out of it, but it was no-longer connected to the rest of the stick. I was laughing so much at his expression of fear, surprise and imminent death that I can't remember who sorted it out now (he saw the funny side afterwards - are you out there John?).

For the very experienced ones who know more than yourself
... steady on! I didn't say he was *that* good

HFD

Edited to add: and thanks for the update BEagle