PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Fairoaks
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2009, 11:51
PompeyPaul
Pompey till I die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to Fairoaks!

The way I fly it, which is not the most optimal but I like it, is to track towards the VOR at Ockam (OCK) speaking to Farnborough Radar on a basic service. If you are coming from the east then you will be on Farnbough East.

When you get to Ockam you descend to 1500QNH and change to Fairoaks. You then head directly to airfield and perform an overhead join and land.

The agreement is that you don't need to speak to LHR as long as you remain in the ATZ and below 1500feet.

Hence overhead join is 1500feet (QNH) with circuits @ 1100feet (QNH)rather than the traditional overhead join @ 2000feet AAL and circuits @ 1000feet AAL. The airfield elevation is 80feett.

It's a doddle.

Only other thing is that when departing Fairoaks squawk 0457 which will identify you to Farnborough as departing EGTF and you can skip some of the details message, i.e.

"G-ABCD is a pa28 routing fairoaks to fairoaks via x,y,z expect x @ time vfr tracking, requesting basic service"

Since your squawking 0457 they'll know who you are, and already have your altitude (if you're mode charlie which I presume you are). You should also remain below 1300feet until you speak to Farnborough since 24 takes you directly into their ILS traffic approach. There is a guide in the tower that goes through departures so just have a quick read of it.

It's a very simply airfield to fly in and out of and well worth your first visit. Fuel is expensive, imho, but the bacon & blue cheese pannini in the cafe is outstanding.

Parking can be tricky as it's pretty busy there.

Good luck!

Last edited by PompeyPaul; 20th Apr 2009 at 12:08.