PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women at war face sexual violence
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 19:47
Herc-u-lease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WK, your point is valid in some areas; however, I think the link between women serving in the military and and our declining birth rate is tenuous. When you talk about letting our women go into "danger" are we talking going Iraq etc. or going to the shops in a car? - both of which carry inherent danger. From the back of my mind I can only think of 1 female RAF servicewoman killed in hostile action in Iraq/Afghanistan (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). The stats for the RAF demographic go along the lines of 1 female for every 10 in the ranks and about 1 in 6 for officers. So that's about 3000 ORs and 1700 female Officers serving. So is protecting the fertility of the nation dependent on relatively small numbers of ladies being prevented from joining the armed services? I would suggest not; IMO, protecting the democratic rights of women who choose to serve their country is far more important than any marginal gains in births we might achieve by limiting females in the armed services.

or did i miss the point of your post?