PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of NDB/ADF
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 19:38
FREDAcheck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice in the consultation document referred to by Sleepybhudda:
5.3 OPTION 3 - Implementation of B-RNAV throughout UK en-route airspace, complete removal of NDB infrastructure.

The removal of all NDBs may accord with common sentiment, a change to the ANO to withdraw the mandatory carriage of ADF, and the ECAC Navigation Strategy. However, to propose the complete removal of NDBs from the UK at this time is felt premature as currently there are 116 NDB IAPs, which all IFR aircraft can utilise, as opposed to 8 RNAV approaches that a small percentage of aircraft can currently utilise.
Option 2 involved removal only of en-route NDBs (in total 11 NDBs, compared to the 116 terminal NDBs used as the IAF of a procedure). The report on responses said that 77% supported Option 2. If this consultation reflects current feeling, it would appear there is no immediate intention to remove NDBs in procedures.

I agree with scooter boy's comments about the accuracy of NDB approaches (from my humble IMC Rating viewpoint, though amazingly I managed a reasonable one on my last IMC renewal!). I think the other issue is the use of an NDB as the Initial Approach Fix for those occasions when for whatever reason you don't get radar vectors to the localiser. Perhaps all procedures could be rewritten to require vectoring, so they can scrap NDBs? I imagine that might open a can of worms.

Last edited by FREDAcheck; 19th Apr 2009 at 21:23. Reason: Clarity