PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of NDB/ADF
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 19:30
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NDB withdrawal

Like it or not we tend to follow changes made in the USA economically, scientifically, aeronautically etc...(although we hate to admit it and although those changes are not always for the best).

I remember the yanks being amazed that we were still using NDBs 5 years ago during my last type rating. What about all those NDB holds and approaches carried out during the IR? What will IR training consist of in the future?

As for DME, synthetic GPS-based DME seems an acceptable alternative.

I remember during my IR training the instructor would tell me to lift the foggles up after a procedural NDB approach where I had kept the needle centred and thought I was spot-on the centreline and had made a great job of things. When the shades were lifted I would be 2 fields off the centreline with the airport disappearing under a wing. NDB approaches are bloody awful as stand alone approaches in poor weather.

Incidentally it did make me laugh reading the preaching in this month's GASIL about not relying on GPS. I can't remember the exact wording and no longer have it as it hit the bin shortly after I read it. The anti-GPS dinosaurs are still out there, bless 'em...

SB