PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 19:22
Propellor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Gosh! Look at the squabbling!

An A330-200 can operate to MNL from Bahrain, but to the best of my (and Boiler's) knowledge, it never has and never will.

The calculation is simple: one way, the flying time would be about 10 hours in winters. At approx 5 tonnes/hour, it would imply a fuel burn of 50 tonnes, and a total fuel uplift of about 55 tonnes.

With a MTOW of 230 tonnes, the ZFW would be restricted by the MZFW of 168 tonnes. Considering an empty weight of about 123 tonnes, it would allow a payload of only 45 tonnes. That is not entirely bad, but if the loads (pax and cargo) are high, then it may be restrictive, and that is the case of GFA. On an A340, the payload would be more, despite the additional burn off.

The A330-200 operation on this route could be a distinct possibility if there was an in-flight re-dispatch policy in effect. However, that needs a change in the mindset of everyone, including the pilots who fret about small things like making PAs.

I agree that the NTC for the PAs was written terribly, but I do not dispute the intent: we have to grow up as employees and as pilots, and realize that it is not Mumtalakat alone that is paying our salaries.

Poor language is becoming the norm for GFA - look at the fantastic (sic!) leave offer from the Banana! But if the CEO's writing is limited to his travel, (mock) travails and trivia, can you blame the poor secretaries drafting the NTC on behalf of the Operations management? The language was definitely most un-officer like!

Life goes on, we can whine (pun intended ) and dine, and tomorrow is another day!