PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Very Disappointed Young Slf
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 16:20
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. I think the point of the story is being missed here. Yes - delays happen. But here we had a situation where three airlines had flights to London departing within a 30 minute period.
One of the airlines was unable to operate its flight on which this little boy and his friend were due to travel with their fathers to attend an organised event.
The story may have been edited for the web but you will see reference to 'the organisers of the event' which would tend to suggest this was not just a private day out.
The fathers then approached other airlines - presumably Flybe and bmi - in a bid to get their children to London in time for the event.
If you read the story you will see it was not a case of there being no seats but a case of the seats available being too expensive which at the last minute is what you would expect.
Now call me soppy, sentimental or over sympathetic but I am fairly sure in times past there would have been a little bit of co-operation between the airlines and some way of accommodating these people would have been found.
What a pity they could not have been accommodated on this occasion. As I said in my initial post the airline concerned would have received some very positive publicity.
I'm not suggesting any airline should carry another's delayed passengers at the drop of a hat but wasn't there anyone present who could have exercised a little discretion in the matter?
By the way I'm fully aware Ryanair is a point to point airline only but show me someone who would not be pretty p...ed off if they booked a 6.30am flight to Stansted intending to connect with one leaving there at 3.30pm and because of this type of delay found they could not do so.
I've been on delayed easyJet flights from Belfast International where heaven and earth has been moved to ensure passengers make onward connections at Liverpool and Luton.
On one occasion people were rushed off the plane immediately the door opened in a bid to get them on a flight which was already boarding.
Even Ryanair has its moments of kindness. As I reported on this website recently I travelled on the 6.30am flight from BHD to STN exactly one week before these unfortunate children and their fathers. On that occasion the doors were disarmed and re-opened to allow three late passengers to board.