PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAME question: Window seals on unpressurised singles
Old 19th Apr 2009, 04:58
Connaught

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lmao

love this ****, keeps me employed,

your Archer wasn't built by Massey-Ferguson

use whatever you want from where ever you want at the cheapest possible price you can get it

the PROPER stuff is more than likely a a PRC product, they are expensive relatively speaking, , but if used properly do NOT cause the damage mentioned in previous posts,

1422 works well for everything (ask bombardier, embraer and boeing) but sticks like **** to a blanket, makes window removal a pain in the arse, put a piece of string in it so the next guy can pull the string out and thereby cut the sealant

or 1428 the cool purple stuff that is 'low adhesion' makes the window come out easier, i have also used it to seal floor boards

if you are dead set on being a tightass buy some rtv 1345 at least, it comes in 3 colors

and please use the steel wire brush to clean up the frames, better yet get an angle grinder the hole for the window will be enlarged making it better, however a plastic or phenolic scraper sharpened on belt sander will do the perfect job

if the screws are rusty and siezed, drill em out and replace em, screws are pennies each, so are the nuts

another option is simply put a bead around the edge of the window and frame, without removing the window, this has the benefit of doing the required sealing, and not making a mess out of the window when you try to remove it, and frankly would be my first go , however i would use the proper sealant and masking tape, and in this case any masking tape will do

this is why engineers are engineers

hell