PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 hours dual and too dangerous for first solo.
Old 18th Apr 2009, 21:12
Capt Mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A37575, It is hard to say without having ever flown with the student.

I have had a student who had a fantastic attitude, yet struggled with certain aspects. I would regularly mix up the ccts with other GFPT sequences and as this student progressed well through these sequences, would revisit the cct, as requested I began cross country training for the student. As we reached the point of the solo nav check, without fuss, I had the student conduct a session of ccts, which ended with a first solo (45 hours), the following day on 2nd and 3rd solo, and within a week the student went training area and cross country solo, achieving the PPL in about 70 hours - which was an average number of hours for students on that course. That student has since successfully completed a CPL and MECIR.

Another I was given had flown 30 hours, and from the first flight I conducted I could see that the student could not fly basic sequences, lacked basic situational awareness and did not have the potential to continue (would attempt to fly into cloud, would line up on final left of the runway - toward hangars and couldnt recognise this being a problem). Immediately I sent the student for a flight with the assistant CFI who came back white as a ghost - and together we sat down and discussed this with the student, who discontinued his training without wasting his money)

Most recently I was asked to assess a student who had over 50 hours and had not gone solo. Within 3 flights, while the student still had some diffculty, the standard of flying had greatly improved. I took the student to the local area to work on "attitude flying" something his previous instructor had commented on in every cct session he flew. After the third flight I conducted, I assessed that the student had potential to go solo.

To my disgust in both this case and the previous - the training had been conducted by different hour hungry junior grade 3 instructors who did not put these students up for regular senior checks and would just fly with them doing session after session of ccts, wondering why they were taking so long. They were also worried more about the student forgetting the prelanding checks in a C152 than they were about the student not being able to fly straight or level, to climb, use rudder for co-ordination, not looking outside or recognise attitudes.

Assuming that several instructors have genuinely tried their best to help the student reach a safe standard for first solo
This doesnt always help, some places I have been, some instructors dont read previous comments, and despite standardisation within flying schools, instructors have different standards and expectations on a student for solos - personally I look for safety, consistency and a good level of airmanship for the level. I dont look for perfection or a CPL standard of flying, that comes with experience. Flying with too many instructors can put stress on a student as they try to fly a certain way to impress the instructor on the day.

This student needs to be assessed by the CFI as to their basic flying skill, technique, situational awareness, ability to learn and to be either assigned a permanent senior instructor who has the patience and experience to help the student develop, or the student needs to be told that they do not have the potential to achieve their flying goals. Tee Em is right, and it is true that CFIs need to take more responsibility for student progression and thorough supervision of their junior instructors.

Anyway, just from my experience. I dont know this situation first hand, but hope that it can be resolved. Good luck.

Mo

P.S sorry for the length of the post, but I was trying to illustrate three very different examples of students in this situation.