PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine normal climbout: Vx or Vy?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2009, 19:40
SeanGG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some critique. It may be the Internet, but people judge what they read almost instantly, especially re: an attitude. I do this, and I have some feedback for you. You have great energy and an obvious passion for flying. Communicating is not yet your strong suit. Your posts exude a kind of cockiness and know it all that detracts from your message. It may be a language thing, then again, the Internet may be at fault.
I really do appreciate your comments and I respect your thoughts, but let me explain myself.

I feel bad when you think of me as "cocky" . I really do not regard myself as a cocky person, and if that is what I seem to be then I obviously have done something wrong because it is not my intention at all. Anyway I have been open to comments and treated you all with great respect in this discussion, even though the discussion went a little off track from what my intentions were.

An obvious connection, but you neglect it. You have heard some valid criticism from others here, but you treat it defensively. Ego has No place in this discussion.
I don't neglect it. I told you earlier when you made your firsts posts in this thread to re-read my posts. I will say it again, because for some reason you are not paying attention to what I have been writing. Read over my posts and you will see that I specifically quoted you earlier (twice) and wrote paragraphs specifically addressed to that.

I have been open to a lot of criticism, but you are right that I have treated it defensively sometimes. The reason for this is partially because the discussion moved away from what it was supposed to be about. The purpose of this thread was to discuss advantages of using either Vx or Vy on take off, and I have openly discussed this with many of you and given you my opinion on what is best and explained why (just as many others have done). Now that I am mentioning it I am very happy with getting so many different views and opinions on this (which was the purpose of the thread). However, when people like you call me an idiot for the procedures I use as if you were the god of aviation, and use wording like "if you do that I don't think you're an instructor" then naturally when faced with such childish behaviour I must be allowed to defend myself.

I quote you:

First of all, Sean, if you're in a 172 taking off from a short strip with a tailwind, I don't think you are an instructor. Secondly, an engine failure at rotation makes Vy or Vx quite moot, you're landing straight ahead or you're an idiot. (All due respect). I climb at 70 in the 172, 90 in my Skylane.

AF

Also, people have been constantly saying that turning back in a C172 is not an option after an engine failure on take off, and the discussion has kind of turned to whether this is a smart thing to do or not. That is completely OK, and I have respected many of your comments saying that it is not a wise thing to do and that one should take precations before doing this. I completely agree with this (as I have said before). However, when people argue that it just isn't possible and that it won't do anything else than kill you, naturally I become irritated as I have clearly stated that I have done this several times before and that it is possible. This makes me repeat myself, perhaps in a manner that you think of as "cocky", but I am not sure if that was the case.

Quote from you again:

It is my contention through experience and training (albeit 40 years ago) that by the time you reach 600 feet at any airspeed, you are not able to turn and land back on the airstrip of departure. I hope that isn't confusing, but if I am the only one who gets it, I'll be the one safely on the ground (hopefully) while others are rolled into a ball or on fire. (IMO).

AF clear of the active

So, to summarize, I really apologize if I have been regarded as cocky in this discussion, but I hope you can understand where I am coming from as well. I think you should be able to admit that your own attitude judging by these quotes and the other posts you have written are not exactly very "discussion friendly" either..

Now, back on topic:

Silver Spur:

I do not know if you were a little quick on typing there, but remember that Vx gives you the best angle of climb and Vy gives you the best rate, so you will always be at a higher altitude with Vy. I guess that being said you lean even more towards Vy for the purpose of turning back after an engine failure on take off, since Vy gives you both more potential and kinetic energy