PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA Gen. Sec. Elections
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2002, 18:06
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the manifesto John has produced. I know he is away on a short trip and will be back in a couple of days to answer any questions:

I am a serving BA captain with 33 yrs in the airline & have been active within BALPA in various roles during the past seven years. I am currently in my third year as a member of the NEC, chairman of the BALPA Pensions Committee & also a member of the BALPA Finance Committee and BACC. I therefore feel well placed to comment on both the management & effectiveness of BALPA during the last five to ten years, ie the majority of the period of office of our incumbent General Secretary.

It is my NEC role, with the background knowledge of our internal workings, which has led me to stand for the post of General Secretary. WHY ?

Effectively to trigger an election so that we could all examine Chris Darke’s record & future plans for his next 5yr term. He has already served two 5yr terms, the last one uncontested. For us to just rubber stamp his next 5yrs of employment (pay, £ 85K) is not healthy in a democratic union like BALPA.

Some background.

The NEC were asked to nominate CD in closed session. He is an NEC member but chose not to be present at any stage. It was therefore completely impossible to question him on his record & future plans for this union.

Our Chairman’s opening words were along the lines “this will only take a few minutes gentlemen, I believe Chris has a good record etc,”
The hammer was about to descend when I supported by three other NEC members said, “hang on, this post is for 5yrs, he was rubber stamped last time, we need to discuss this in some depth”
A lively debate followed !!! At the end of which we had a vote which went 7-4 in CD’s favour. We were no nearer getting to the truth of his future plans so the dissenters decided we should propose a “stalking horse”, & let you, the members, decide.

Why are we unhappy?

1/ The main role of the Gen. Sec. is to take charge of the admin. & finances of a multi million pound company (turnover £3.5M).

Finance:

Last year BALPA was allowed to get into a position of running a £500K deficit (15% of turnover, greater than BA’s !!!). The reps spotted the problem & after much hard work have probably reduced this shortfall to about £150K. If you look at the audited data for the last 4yrs our operating deficit has widened from £100K to almost £600K.

Why has the Gen. Sec. not been managing our finances as required under rule 28 (iv)?

Admin.

Over the last ten years since Mark Young’s untimely death we have lost strong cohesive Leadership & Direction. At least 6 full time officers -Lebrecht, Fowler, Hayes, O’Donnell, Sparham, Aikens- have been decimated, most of whom have gone straight to the opposition, unforgivable. We have had some good replacements but the disruption this causes takes years to recover.

Why does he spend so little time at New Road? We have noticed he is almost never available.

2/ Interfering with reps negotiations.

When the BA LHLC resigned on mass over the 777 rest issue CD’s prints were all over that fiasco. I don’t wish to re-open that issue, but this & other examples has led to considerable disillusionment.

Our industry terms & conditions have slipped steadily by international standards, & there is a widespread feeling that the “Guiding Principles” (a partnership approach with management) championed by the GS, has exacerbated this decline, with BA for instance held to little if any accountability for repeated transgressions.

What other airlines have had similar appeasements?

3/ We are also very unhappy about the Gen. Sec.’s position on holding replacement elections, eg the 777 saga mentioned above,

He took the view “as we will get the same people back I don’t intend to
hold elections until memories have faded”. (said to me and a fellow NEC member). He lobbied the former NEC to take this view. So, for nine months we had an inquorate BA LHLC. with little representation for 25% of our membership.
Hardly the approach he now expounds in the Log “I am determined to see we don’t forget what this Association is for, namely to represent you the members.”

Shades of Zimbabwe.!!!!

My Aims & Role.

My sole objective is to “Hand BALPA back to its members” by:

1/ Creating an election in which the incumbent is required to outline his position.

2/ Acting as a “stalking horse” so that the deep disquiet which I believe exists widely
may be expressed & thus give us the opportunity to actively seek a replacement well versed in the handling of today’s industrial scene. We will head-hunt the best.
For those who are not represented by the BA part of BALPA, please do not think of this as an attempt to effect some kind of take-over of BALPA. We are aware that our level of membership is significantly exceeded by non-BA members and equally recognise this has to apply throughout our structure.

However, we do believe that in many areas BA is looked upon as an important part of UK “bench-marking”; hence any relative decline in BA pilots' terms and conditions are likely to eventually affect the remainder of the UK industry. When I speak of handing BALPA back to its members, I truly mean ALL members in ALL companies.

It is for you, the members, to decide. Please think carefully about this post, the Gen. Sec. role is hugely important in an organisation in which the reps. are part time.
I believe his disdain in not proposing an election is unhealthy & undemocratic. All the reps. stand for re-election regularly. This is democracy, it must apply at all levels within BALPA.

I make two pledges:

1/ I will not take a penny piece as General Secretary
2/ I will stand down immediately the objective in 2/ above has been met

I seek your vote please.