PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What got you flying?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2009, 13:47
kms901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, its was a combination of Biggles, my grandmother and her collection of signed photos of fighter pilots, and a passion for flight that started about the age of 6.

A+C, I remember the Indian Air Force Constallation. As a young reggie spotter I turned up at the guardhouse of RAF Northolt and asked if I could go in. I was sent to the control tower and given the grand tour by the Flight Sargeant in charge. He insisted that I wrote his name down so he could get the bounty if I joined up !. I got taken out across the tarmac and given a look around the inside of the Connie, including the flight deck and flight emgineers position. It had that indescribable old aeroplane smell. No hi-viz, no security and a nice cup of tea.
I ended up watching it take off from a jeep sitting on the peri track. If I close my eyes I can still remember the sight of it clearing the boundary fence, nosewheel just coming up and engines roaring. It seemed like a living creature to me. Magnificent.A different world.

Things like that inspired me to want to fly. Gliders with the school cadet force at 16, andFlying Scholarship at 17. Ever since then, on and off, I have flown whenever I could afford it. Nothing grand,but for fun.
I avoided flying as a career. I didn't want to risk losing the magic and thrill if I did it for a living. Thirty five years on and I am just as keen (and broke !) as ever.