PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine normal climbout: Vx or Vy?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2009, 10:48
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you think is best glide speed Sean? I would imagine that would be C/L max.
I misread it as L/D max,...
And I was in a rush earlier when I wrote C/L max. I actually meant L/D max.
Spooky! I must be telepathic.

Now that we're talking about it and kind of off topic already, would any of you mind explaining why L/D max = Vx in jets but not prop airplanes?
Let me add a slightly different explanation to those already offered. If you draw your standard flight mechanics four-force diagram and resolve along the flight path you get

Thrust - Drag = Weight * sin(Flight_Path_Angle)

where Flight_Path_Angle is positive in a climb and negative in a descent.

With zero Thrust, you can simply minimize Drag (as a function of speed) for maximum Flight_Path_Angle (i.e. best glide). So best glide speed is at D/Lmin or L/Dmax

With constant Thrust (as a function of speed), you can still just minimize Drag for maximum Flight_Path_Angle (i.e. best angle of climb). So for a constant-thrust powerplant, Vx is also at L/Dmax.

But if Thrust varies with speed, the maximization is more complex. For example if Thrust decreases with speed, as it usually does, choosing a speed slightly lower than L/Dmax will give you higher Thrust - Drag than at L/Dmax. So Vx is only coincident with L/Dmax in a constant thrust situation.