PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA Gen. Sec. Elections
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2002, 16:45
Magplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW ChrisDarke.com

The arrogance of this man is appalling.

We have been calling for a members internet forum from BALPA for the last 18 months but CD can produce one in five minutes where self-publicity is required. With the threat to his position and that of his cronies, the prospect of losing an 85k salary seems to grab his attention.

Perhaps the workings of HQ BALPA are not very visible to the majority of members but the level of support given to reps is appaling. It is only through their continued motivation and dedication that second-rate results are achieved. HQ BALPA is a very comfy little Golf Club, Ta very much!

In the ten-year reign of CD we have seen an increase in membership - Fantastic - can't have a Monarch without an empire..... But look at the issues.

- Flagging out.... Little or no progress

- Work permits for non-EU citizens while we have pilots on the dole.... Remains rife

- The Atlas/GSS debacle continues to create bad feeling on both sides of the Atlantic

- Slowly but surely our T&C have been eroded to the point where the job has suffered wholesale devaluation.

I am no fan of the BA Company Council but as major shareholders in BALPA they have identified the rot and decided to move for 'a new broom'. They do not seek to put 'their man' in place as any more than unpaid caretaker, but rather to 'Head-Hunt' a suitable Rottweiler for the job.

I have been a BALPA member ever since I started in civil aviation with a charter company ten years ago. In my time the leadership has gone from moderate to poor and our T&C have followed. Like it or not BA leads industry trends - What happens there today happens to the rest of us tomorrow

The regime at the top of BALPA must change or it will not retain me as a member.