PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I got mugged in Nice!
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2009, 00:54
clivewatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Martin, long time no see. At least we have something in common - we both post in our own names, and further, in retrospect, you're right to point out that it is no rumour - but I couldn't find the FACT forum.

Yes, I too have been flying there for years, but for years I didn't really pay too much attention to the bills because they were not gonna hit my personal credit card.

Times have changed somewhat recently, and even though its still not my credit card I'm somewhat more sensitive to how my principal's credit card might be handling the economic climate. If his don't bend too much, neither will my job prospects.

The point I'm trying to make is that handling agents do little (in my opinion) other than take us back and forth from the airplane, and further they (mostly) charge like Dick Turpin for the priveledge.

For those who may fly to Europe from US or elsewhere, it may be helpful to point out that handling is NOT compulsory at all European airports. If you want to pay for their services, I would STRONGLY suggest you ask them in advance of your trip what their charges are, and exactly what they give you that is not free at the airport anyway.

At Nice - a few tips:

Never accept the free crew taxi vouchers - you will pay more.

Never
let the handling agent pay your landing and parking fees - thay add a minimum of 7% + VAT on top of what they think should be your charges, PLUS another 19% VAT. (the office to pay fees is 20 metres from all of the handling agents).

Fruit trays may be bought in the terminal - cost 5.50 Euos per pax (saving approx Euro 50 per pax)

Ice and Hot Water may also be bought upstarirs in the terminal. (if you ask politely it's free of charge).

PS. Re the fuel delays - not for a while since Landmark started selling it - if you are happy to pay a premium! At Nice prices though, we woulkd tanker fuel everytime, so no problem!