PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 18:09
One9iner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and what is the morale amongst pilots like at the moment in your experience?
(Before I provide an opinion/answer - I am not yet a commercial pilot so take what I say with a pinch of salt)

Fair question; but I'm sure 'morale' is fairly low across the board at the moment, and I don't just mean within aviation. Across the economy, from manufacture, finance, logistics, services, retail etc... everyone, within every sector are being beaten around the head by the big 'R'. OK, in times of a downturn, certain people and organisations prosper, but not so for the majority. My current job, although not under direct threat within weeks, could be within months!? who knows! This may not be true if you work for a company doing well, who don't need to cut costs, or if you are self employed with a controlled, sustainable and profitable customer base and you can survive with a sudden cut in available credit.

Because of the big 'R' I'd put my money on 'morale' within the aviation community being low (even with the experienced ladies and gents who still have a job with one of the flagships). I have a family member and a few close friends who work for a number of the heathrow based outfits (I'm still working on it ) and morale is lower than it was for sure. There's uncertainty across the economy.

Having said all that... I'd love to hear personal opinions from guys and girls inside the industry that all us 'wannabe's' are so 'stupidly' trying to get into.

Good luck one and all