PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 6
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 16:55
ATNotts

Received 292 Likes on 163 Posts
EMA - too close to BHX

Crusher1:

The oft heard arguement as to why BHX has been less successful than other European cities of similar size / importance in attracting longhaul business is that it is "too close to London".

I think the same could be said for the East Midlands cities (Nottingham, Derby and Leicester) with regard to their proximity to Birmingham, which, whether we like it or not is the "capital" of the Midlands, and has a much greater population, and with venues like the NEC, NIA and ICC attracts more inbound business travel than the three aforementioned east midlands cities is ever likely to.

Why therefore, should Emirates, Continental, or PIA dilute their midlands originating traffic by setting up a "rival" operation through EMA. I think this is also why, for example Lufthansa and KLM have failed to offer service from EMA.

It's not all gloom and doom though - how many UK airports can boast the cargo facilities, and spread of based operators that EMA does? Only last night EMA hosted three Antonov 124s and a Kallita 747 - like to see them accomodated at BHX!!! (fat chance).

EMA has a niche - loco passenger, and the UK's principal hub for all the world's chief integrators - save one, Fedex. Pretty good and something to be proud of if you ask me. (Don't ask the residents of Kegworth, Breedon or Wilson however - they'll probably disagree!!!).