PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 13:21
bigjarv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah the classic and renowned cycle of aviation! Good times then bad times then good times then bad times. Currently we are in a bad time and if the cycle will reveal itself as it always has before... the good times will follow. A guess but a guess which I am fairly confident about based on the past (we have seen it ALL before). So when will it happen? The good times that is! Goodness knows but a stern talk to CTC would be a good plan (I always found them to be fairly honest and open). Their future relies on successful placement of candidates which relies on a successful industry so they will have experienced, informed and connected people planning for the future. They might even give some good advice (imagine that!)! Obviously take their advice with open eyes as their motivation will be slightly different to yours but they probably aren't going to blatantly lie. A good chat to other schools for their opinions would be a plan. If you know pilots or aviation people whose judgment you trust, perhaps chat to them. Read flight international and the flight global web site. Maybe a newspaper or two or the economist cause the aviation industry's success is directly linked to the economy. Chat to an economist, a teacher, your dad, your mom, they have age, experience and perhaps knowledge on their side! Then and only then, armed with as much info as you can be bothered to gather, make your own decision.

I have no advice as I haven't done any of that research. I'm lucky enough to have been though all this already and am enjoying the rewards of my research and efforts. I have what I consider to be a brilliant job and hopefully it is secure enough to ride out the storm so I have other things to find out about!

Please please please get ideas from people on here but don't just blindly take their advice (no matter how persistent they seem to want to be!!)!! Would you really take advice from a total stranger on the street?! This is an anonymous rumor network! The key is in the name! Take ideas and thoughts from here, research good advice from trusted / known sources and make your own plan!

On a side note, don't give up the "Rayban" dream either! Everyone always remarks on how wanabees have "rose tinted glasses". Be proud of that! Believe me, you will always need them and they may even help the making of your success. Those glasses, like wine glasses, are good for many aspects of life!! The glasses and the desire to do the job are what makes our industry different and such a great place to be! I'm sure you have heard it before.. get a bunch of pilots together and they will talk aviation, get a bunch of accountants together and they will talk of anything but work! We are very lucky!!