PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 12:38
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The normal overseas base for 90Sqn during such operations or exercise Sunspot was RAAF Butterworth.
"Exercise Sunspot" was Luqa; Butterworth and Tengah alternated every other year for what I seem to recall was "Exercise Moonflower" - with a flight detachment to Darwin for the luckier fellows.

Dispersals I remember being used by Waddington Wing when I was there included Macrihanish, Valley, Honington, Manston, Filton, Lyneham, Woodford and Brawdy.

...when the concept was actually put into practise (ie - Cuba) the Force was not dispersed when it should have been.
I don't understand the comment. Bomber Command regularly came to readiness on their home bases through Exercise "Mick" and could theoretically disappear to dispersal from that status within 15 minutes. Sometimes Bomber Command would test us when the station was declared ready, by saying "Off you go then!" just to see if we were bullsh*tting.

We could - and regularly did - perform Exercise "Micky Finn" and disperse the entire 'V' Force from a cold start within 24 hours. (That includes all aircraft and aircrew plus the ground crews to maintain them. We went in Hastings, Beverleys and even 42 seater busses.) We may have been a scruffy ill-disciplined crowd of misfits and reprobates, but we knew our jobs inside out and were very proud of our technical ability.

Last edited by Blacksheep; 17th Apr 2009 at 20:55. Reason: To correct "Sunflower"