PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F22/f35
Thread: F22/f35
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 12:03
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Zero,

As OA points out, the JSF Operational Requirements Document lays out a dozen mission types that the aircraft is to be able to perform from SEAD/DEAD and OCA/DCA to CAS.

In the CAS role it brings :

11 pylons compared to the Harrier's 9 (one of which is for the gun of course),
you could just stay with 8 Small Diameter Bombs in the bays and retain supersonic dash capability for TST,
you have a mind-numbingly good ground-mapping radar that gives you a true all-weather capability,
optics at least as good as the old Sniper pod,
a fully integrated helmet mounted sight,
full Link 16 integration for TST tasking and global SA around you,
intra-flight datalinks with your buddies,
ROVER-like capability,
more bring-back to the ship,
a lot more than 2 MPCDs so you can actually look at more than just the map and the Sniper at the same time,
access to the full range of US weapons - without the UOR, SD or OEC faff,
FLIR-like images all around the airplane projected into the helmet at the touch of a button,
Direct Voice Input and a lot more HOTAS than a Harrier ever had - without all the mode changes (if I have a Mav then then this button does this, unless I have a Mav and a TIALD when it does this, unless the TIALD is uncaged when it does this etc)

and many more...

Oh and you're LO so if the next war is somewhere a bit nastier than Afghanistan and there are mobile double digit SAMs everywhere you don't have to immediately call in sick.

But I don't recall seeing a plan to integrate CRV-7 onto F-35 - if that's what you're driving at?

Totally with you on the LHD/LHX vs CV point though. I'm curious to know why the RN want an enormous boat that does nothing but aircraft, instead of an enormous amphibious assault ship with troops etc. I assume there were good reasons. Anyone?

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly