PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 08:18
sharpclassic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevilinio,

If you were to look at the people offering their advice, support and help regarding the state of the industry over here in the UK at the moment, you'll see that they're all people who have been through and finished with CTC. Most of them are in full time jobs with their unfrozen ATPL, myself included... so please don't patronise me with your chat of trying for McDonalds.

You're in NZ, the weather is great, you're going for a jolly upto buzz the Sky Tower every so often before heading off to The Bank to do some wildlife spotting happy in the little fuzzy world created by the CTC spin machine that there are plenty of jobs available for you when you finish your training in a years time.

However, over here things are quite different.

I'm not saying things are at an apocalyptic level, but they are certainly not brilliant. XL pilots with thousands of hours who can't find a job here are having to move to **** holes like Lagos to fly (I had dinner with one the other day). Virgin are talking of chopping 60 pilots. Friends who have been in the British Airways DEC Hold Pool for nearly a year are just happy that BA have extended it to 18 months as there is zero recruitment.

What everyone is trying to say is that yes, you'll finish your course and get a type rating at some point, maybe a year later... but when you finish your time on the Flexi Wings scheme, you'll be joining the pile of (by then) hundreds of type-rated-but-low-hours pilots on the CV pile.... with a fecking massive loan to pay off.

As said previously, easyJet will not expand like they did previously. There has to be a saturation point in the market. Even if they do, it will be FlexiWings that feeds it.... good luck getting a mortage on a temp contract like that.

As negative as The Beak sounds, he/she has some very good points. We've got our full time jobs, we're fine thanks (for the time being anyways!). We're just trying to help you guys realise that it's not all as wonderful as CTC paint.