PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC History
Thread: ATC History
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 07:11
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-L.. OK. We must agree to differ, unless you can convince me of the integrity of ADS-B.

I spent my life using conventional radar and when I looked at an aeroplane on the radar I knew that it was very, very close to that position. In fact, so close that I was quite confident of the safety aspects when using 2.5nm radar separation. Any inaccuracies which did exist applied to all aircraft, not just to one.

My understanding of ADS-B is that the position of the aircraft as viewed on ground equipment depends on GNSS and the aircraft equipment, which must be correctly set up. At present, no doubt because the system is not mandatory in the UK, ADS-B transmissions may not be relied upon.

I can watch ADS-B transmissions on my PC and I have seen far too many inaccurate position reports, typically of 2-3 miles but sometimes as much as 5 miles.

The system may well be of great use over areas where there is no conventional radar cover but I need to be convinced of the advantages in replacing conventional ground-based radar with an ADS-B system for use in a busy ATC environment.

Please convince me that I am wrong....