PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine normal climbout: Vx or Vy?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2009, 03:22
SeanGG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In post #8 you reference taking off on a short airstrip with a tailwind. Taking off on a short strip is fine, but with a tailwind?
If you actually take the time to reread my post and use some common sense, you should be able to realize that the reference I made to the tailwind takeoff was to prove my point that taking off at Vy is superior to Vx simply because one would never take off from a short field in a tailwind, and therefore the scenario where Vx would be superior to Vy would be non-existant. I never said that I have ever taken off with a tailwind from a short strip.

If you anticipate an engine out, why are you taking off?
Obviously you missed the whole point of the thread again....

Let me explain myself (once again):

I do not anticipate an engine out on take off. However, as a professional pilot it is actually my job and also in my greatest interest to always be ready for the worst case scenario. That is why we are discussing what the best procedures are to have the best chance of survival if an engine failure were to happen.

What does Rate or Angle have to do with "timing" an engine failure?
I am not sure exactly what you mean by "timing" an engine failure, but the answer to your question is probably "nothing".