PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 20:26
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim McLelland
I would assume that dispersal in fog would never have been an issue. The decision to disperse the V-Force wouldn't have been taken as a last-minute option, therefore there would be sufficient time to take into account weather conditions
Tim, I think your assessment is wrong.

Main base generation - Alert Condition 3 - was seen as a relatively covert and non-escalator increase in readiness. The force was generated to 15 min readiness and held within the ring of steel.

OTOH Alert Condition 2 was an extremely tricky decision. Aircraft slated for dispersal were not fuelled with sufficient fuel for a war mission. The longer the force was retained at Alert Condition 2 the greater its chance of failure.

Alert Condition 1 was the ultimate increase in escalation but the force would not be cocked until aircraft were turned around at their dispersals. In exercises it was rare to be at Alert Condition 2 for more than 6 hours. Once sufficient aircraft were declared combat available the CinC would give the dispersal order with, presumably, the agreement of the PM and Sec State. A little factor such as fog would not have stopped him.

Well, that is my tak on the situation.