PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 20:26
wirefly84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Employment prospects

It all comes down to peoples individual circumstances. I am going into this with my eyes open, and NOT assuming employment once i qualify.I believe in the 1 job to every 10 pilots estimate,however i think it is down to people to decide if they think they can compete in such a competitive industry. It is a very wise move to have a back up plan, I myself will be applying for permanent jobs suited to my degree way before i finish my training, also having saved up a 'contingency' fund if i dont find employment any time soon.Yes its a risk, and nobody on here can even guess what the industry will be like in 2 years time, however, if at every oppertunity you prepare for the worst and dont assume everything will be rosey,you will eventually have the edge when things do improve.Only time will tell, but i would much rather take the risk and work my arse off for 2 years in a dead end job paying my loan off, yes it wont be the high life and yes i wont have much to live on, but i couldnt care less as that knowing that 1 day i will live my dream will make it worthwhile, just depends how much you want it.People will say its their dream, but can you live with the consequences if things dont go to plan and be prepared to take responsibility for your debt? Thats where i think many cadets go wrong, and dont think the likely outcomes through.I myself am prepared to take this step - knowing the disadvantages far outweigh any possible advantages,that doesent make me a 'fool' just someone that is prepared to make the neccessary sacrifices to get where i want to be in life.