PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqn Ldr N E Rose
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 20:17
GGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud to have served with Sqn Ldr Norman Rose

Norman came to RAF Upavon in 1972 to carry out a ground tour in Air Support Command Operations Control, ASCOC. he, like most aircrew arriving to a 2 year desk job, was not too happy about this. That said Norman took to his job as Ops Controller with a passion and soon was managing to smile and relate his endless fascinating flying stories including the Britannia incident (overspeed prop), and of course his well deserved decoration.Night shifts with Norman were invariably good fun. I recall he had a wilkinson varaflame cigarette lighter, which he used a lot!!, engraved with the words Dart Herald, more fascinating tales ensued regarding this. He always took part in social events with us lower ranks and indeed, even at work addressed all by their first name. He was much loved by all in ASCOC, especially the girls as he always managed a smile and wink for the pretty ones! There were one or two I recall. Upavon being HQ Air Support Command/46Group etc had only 200 blokes and 600 WAAFs! This made the lack of aeroplanes more bearable. I think Norman escaped back to Brize Norton and a short tour on the VC10 before arriving at Formby. A remarkable man it has been a privilege to have known.
GGR