PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A&P Licence
Thread: A&P Licence
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 18:41
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi g_funk.

Good luck with your B1.

You don't say what your background is in aeroengineering, light or heavy. What would be worthwhile is getting as much experience on as many different types of construction materials (metal, wood and fabric, composite) as possible. Also, try and get some component experience as well e.g. strip and rebuild a magneto (U/S training aid of course), hydraulic actuator/PFCU etc. Expand your technical horizons as much as possible.

The United States Freedom of Information Act has ensured that all the questions asked on the A&P written exams are in the public domain - but there are an awful lot of questions in the data base.

There are some excellent study guides available for the three exams, Airframe, Powerplant and General. These are available in book format, electronic (i.e. CD), and are also downloadable. Their cost is not the usual UK/Euroland silly prices either. Do heavy home-study of the content of these guides before you head Stateside. It will make it so much easier.

As mentioned by my eminent peers above, justification must be demonstrated. As a minimum, your employer must state, on company-headed paper, that the organisation maintains 'N' registered aircraft and that there is a need for you to hold appropriate Certificates to certify those aircraft.

Applications in the UK used to be through the West Drayton FAA office, but I have been led to believe this is/may be closed.

If you are attempting to gain your FAA A&P Certificate with experience based on your (soon to be) B1 licence, the UK CAA will be required to advise the FAA that your B1 licence does exist, and the CAA will charge you for this letter. Contrary to some opinions, you do not need to have an extant licenct to base your application. However, you will need to prove a level and extent of experience that meets the FAA minimum guidlines. The FAA website www.faa.gov contains all relevant information, although navigating through it can be difficult for the newcomer.

If your application is accepted, the next bit of hard work starts. There are a number of 'schools' who can ease your path towards the A&P. The time taken is dependant on your level of experience and your knowledge.

You will sit your written exams (in reality, they are 'click' exams on a PC live linked to the FAA. If you pass, or if you fail, you are told immediately on screen (CAA please take note).

If you are successful, then it is just the practical and the oral left.

The practical is litterally that. You will get dirty hands. Cut, bash, drill and rivet; dismantle and reassemble a component; functionally check resistors and verify their values; dress a propeller or compressor blade; remove a piston engine cylinder and check ring gaps; measure turbine creep; etc, etc and it must all be in accordance with the correct manual which you must locate from the tech library.

Finally, you will have a one-to-one with a guy who will know more than you ever will, so, no bullsh1tting. If you don't know, say so. This person may be a DER or Designated Engineering Representitive. DER's are extremely experienced A&P's with Inspector Authorised ratings who are authorised to act on behalf of the FAA and will have been there, seen it and done it (CAA take note). Because they are from our side of the fence, they can smell a porky pie before you even say it, so be totally honest.

Your Oral exam will drag every last bit of your knowledge and experience out of you. You will be suprised how much you really do know, which is much less than what you don't know. The Oral covers the same three subjects as your 'click' exams.

If you are successful, you will be immediately issued with your Temporary A&P Certificate, the privelages of which you may excercise immediately (CAA take note). Your 'credit card' Certificate will be posted to your home address by the FAA.

Should anyone try and advise you that it is a walk-in-the-park, just ignore them. You will know yourself that you worked hard to gain that little piece of plastic.

Oh, and for TURIN, tell your mate he wasn't trying hard enough. I did mine in late 2006...in one day, and that was at Embery-Riddle College of Aeronautics in Daytona, Florida. I was made to sweat hard all day and the Practical and Oral drew upon every facet of the last 30 years of my experience.

Embery-Riddle were extremely helpfull and receptive and I would recommend you contact them for guidance or help. If you want a contact name, drop me a PM.

I hope the above is of some help, and good luck.

camlobe