PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Airbus questions...
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 16:05
PJ2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
leewan;

I recall a medical diversion into Anchorage - overweight landing, very high approach speeds - if I recall, we heated the brakes to well over 600C. Alaskan Airlines put eight coolers on the mains while we refueled; we turned in 26 minutes and left with brakes under around 100C, so coolers work well. Airbus recommends releasing the brakes when they're over 300C, again going by memory.

Boeing has a different philosophy (which some airlines have adopted). "Unless the pilot reports it, it didn't happen".

That applies to hard landings, high brake temps, CAT and anything else that could be considered an operational matter. If it isn't in the log book, it didn't occur. So, if we see a landing in the data which exceeds the Aircraft Maintenance Manual limits, (higher than 1.9g's with a roll angle greater than 5deg at touchdown) and it is not reported by the pilot, it "didn't happen", and the aircraft continues to fly.

The B777 brake temps are indicated on a scale from 1-10 on the EICAS; the AMM (Aircraft Maintenance Manual) refers to a substantially different scale and I can't find a conversion for the readings. It appears as though anything over a "5" requires cooling - actual brake temps aren't displayed.

Airbus treats these kinds of issues quite differently.