PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 14:03
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Spartican

Hi Spartican. < Can I remember a question from sixty five years ago ? > Yes I can.. Can I remember the answer ? That remains to be seen. When I answer, I will try to write from memory , with no reference to notes. I think that as it was a struggle to work out, and that I was so pleased that I got it right, that I remember. Regards your remarks about education on aircraft systems, I often thought we would never need a lot of the knowledge in flight, and the only answer any of us could come up with was that we were also being groomed for posting to the Far East, after V.E Day, where servicing facilities were not so well organised. For instance , we might use an airfield, with fully trained Halifax or B17 mechanics who knew every thing about their aircraft , but baffled by some of the systems on the Lancaster. (comments ?) I am sure that with their skill and our knowledge , we would have coped O.K.

Your reference to the course being designed by accountants reminded me of the saying that our webbing, big pack, etc was designed by Lady Astor (I think,) Well she did call the lads fighting their way up from Africa, D Day dodgers. Does any one remember ? I know it wasn’t Vera Lyn.

TRIVIA.

I’m elated, over the moon. Just read an article in yesterdays paper showing a note written by a well known politician. You see when I started this blog, I was concerned, ‘The moving finger having writ moves on, nor all thy piety and wit cannot remove half a word’ and all that Plus grammar , spelling mistakes, coupled with the fact, journalist I aint. I now know I am not the daftest writer in the country, and have scanned the article for your amusement. I swear I have not airbrushed the item below, and have done my best to enhance it. Sorry if it is a bit off thread, but do think it relates to some of my scans, well remotely.

P.S Bottom right hand corner is the word 'nowlege' (very sic)