PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a flying job - Uni or Work ???
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2002, 08:25
franksnbeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having gained my PPL, and almost completed my ME rating, I have decided to go back to uni full time and fly ME A/c privately once a month or so. I work about 30 hrs a week, so I'm putting a few more $ into a savings account, and when I finish my degree, I'll have enough to get my CPL, NVFR, and instructor rating.

At the moment, I'm at at uni part time, and doing my CPL theory at night school. In this CPL class, there are about 12 poeple, from all different backgrounds and age groups. I can see that those who did well at school, have a degree and are a bit younger (19 - 30) seem to learn a lot quicker than those who left school early to do a trade and are a bit older (35 - 40). (no offense to anyone, as this is not really an accurate controlled experiment, just what i've noticed)

Why?

school teaches you how to learn a specific way, with poeple breathing down the back of your neck. Uni is different. You learn to take care of yourself and you are responsible for yourself. I can see how much I have matured in just 1.5 years. I have learned the best way for me to learn, if you know what I mean(?). I hope that those of you who have a choice will choose the degree route.

My only problem now is staying disiplined enough to stick to a limited amount of flying, just enough to satisfy my craving.

My suggestion is go to uni, mature as a person and save money for your flying. There are next to no jobs out there at the moment, but in another few years, when you have a DEGREE behind you, it'll be as good, if not better than it was pre 911.

That's the way I see it.

fnb

P.S. uni is great fun, I've made heaps of mates, and the girls are hotter than they were at school (and more experienced aswell )