PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aires, Colombia
Thread: Aires, Colombia
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 18:20
AVApilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FO that has no idea what torque is??

OH Yeah, Like I said, in Colombia you get hired with 250 hrs NO MULTI, poor english... scary that you ride a Jet with a FO that has no idea what Torque is.. but that's the way it goes.
You have a lot of hours, you will be challenged during interviews.

Sorry Heading090 but I have to disagree with you on that, it is true, you can get hired with 250TT in Colombia, maybe even less, but no copilots have been hired by AVA that do not meet ICAO level 4 english minimums, so, Poor English?? not according to ICAO.
Sure many of the kids coming straight from flight school with just a little over 200TT may not know what torque is when they apply for the job but trust me thats what ground school is there for and that applies to all airlines here in Colombia, I flew for Satena before joining AVA and I felt very well trained in ground school and in the sim and thats satena that is not even a fourth the size of avianca, some of my friends flew for Aires and they have assured me that the training in Aires is the toughest they have gone through.
I can tell you that the training offered by AVA or Aires is some of the best out there and by that I mean some of the best in the region (as in South America).

So saying that the guy in the right seat of a F100 or a Dash8 or similar here in colombia has a poor level of english or has no idea what the instruments in front of him mean is a bit of poor judgement on your part IMHO.

My 2 cents.