PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F3 terminated
Thread: F3 terminated
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 17:19
Backwards PLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist

Of course I do not claim that the F3 is solely responsible for preventing many things from happening. In terms of hijacked aircraft the security/intelligence services and airport security undoubtedly contribute more. But you surely cannot say that deterrence does not work.

I cannot say that if we put up no DCA between the Iraqi airfields and our HVAAs then they would definitely have shot one down. All I can say is that when we did use F3 DCA we didn't lose anything.

Likewise I cannot say for certain that if an F3 had done the ID when there was a blue on blue then it would definitely not have happened, but I can say that when F3s have done IDs, they have not got it wrong and shot down a friendly. You say that the comment "an F3 has never failed in its job" are "frankly ludicrous". Could you elaborate, please?

Look at your own argument and apply it to the Strategic Deterrent or even carriers and you will perhaps see the point. (BTW I am not anti carrier - I see their utility, but I also see Jacko's point. On balance I think we should get them, but they certainly need to be looked at hard. A catapult would help then they could actually project force).

Of course if you prefer we could procure an AD aircraft the envy of the world - undoubtedly the best and also looks cool at airshows, but after the F22 buy we certainly wouldn't be able to afford carriers (or much else for that matter).

On the actual F3 cut - I understand that it has not been completely terminated, just reduced to a QRA only force with 12 aircraft. Pretty horrific if you are currently on it but you can see why the decision was made.