PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 13:21
QF Observer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You Have No Friggen Idea

I will start by stating that I am NOT a Qantas employee nor have I ever been one, but am indeed a shareholder, albeit an extremely minor one.

I have never read such utter crap in all my life, it is understandable by this garbage why Qantas is in fact under pressure. Its frontline employees have no idea how to run a business and post personal attacks to, in some weird way make themselves feel better, rather than band together in the true time of need for the betterment of the organisation than themselves, but still have the nerve to accuse the CEO of being selfish. MMMM double standards.

It is understandable that people are under pressure, what with mortgages etc, but unless you have lived a day in the life of a senior exec of a large organisation, keep your personal opinions about the person to yourselves, 'dont hate the player, hate the game'.

Let me tell you from experience in a senior exec role that it is not as rosey as you make it out, the pressure of losing your job is not a cyclical thing, but a daily thing. Trust me on that one.

Secondly, for one second think of the Qantas staff who are "last in" rather than continue to push the EBA conditions of last in first out and continue to rub peoples faces in the mud whilst they are already down. Any person who was part of that type of negotiation is indeed an evil person. I personally do not agree with EBAs as they reward the lazy and inept and keep down the true talent by implementing blatent discrimination in the way of seniority. I have personally challenged such a seniority setting in the IR commission with a company I worked for 15 years back and won.

From memory the engineering dispute last year lasted a little over 4 months, my company switched to Virgin Blue, because we knew at least we will get to our destination on time, even though the Qantas service is superior. We are today still with Virgin and so are other companies that we do business with, who also switched, so the $150m cost of the dispute, I think is not a static figure and will grow and the true cost is far greater and perhaps unmeasurable.

Im glad A Joyce has taken the reigns of Qantas as I am astounded to learn from this forum that a hostie earns $85k, are you kidding me, what the hell has Dixon allowed to foster. For what do they earn $85k, pouring a couple of cups of coffee, and throwing a couple of cookies down the isle.

Any way im sure I will cop a barrage of abuse from you overpaid, undereducated hosties out there. Give it your best shot, Ive read the crap you post and look forward to the entertainment.

Observer