PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 12:33
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Purdey,

I would agree that had the Chinook been further to the left, then the crash probably would not have occurred. The possibility that (as concluded in Mr Campbell's book) the lighthouse compound and fog-horn compound were mis-identified is, just that - a possibility, and a remote one at that as the crew regularly flew that area and knew it very well.

Had, of course, the Chinook missed the landmass, the crew would be alive to make representation against any allegation of a breach of airmanship, or provide testimony that the aircraft was unfit for service. Sadly they, nor their families, have been given that opportunity.

Whilst we are looking to agree certain points, can I ask if we can agree the following:
a) The witnesses on the Mull were in cloud and had no way of knowing how far out it extended.

b) No one alive knows what could be seen from the cockpit.

c) No one alive knows what was said in the cockpit.

d) No one knows where, exactly, the waypoint change was made.

e) No one knows whether a flight control pallet became detached prior to, or as a result of impact.

f) No one knows, with absolutely no doubt whatsoever, the actual sequence of events which led to the tragic accident on the Mull of Kintyre.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook