PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relatives claim government failed to protect victims of RAF Hercules crash
Old 15th Apr 2009, 08:04
Blighter Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I am pleased that the MOD will be taken to task over XV179 I only hope that this does not open the floodgates for all relatives of military personnel lost in action to claim for 'human rights' issues.

How far back will this landmark action allow relatives to consider action, the Falklands, Op Granby, Sierra Leone, Kosovo etc?

At at time when the MOD is effectively bankrupt could we see further funds expended on various legal cases and payouts?

I am all for justice where justice is required but no amount of money will bring back a loved one.

I would think that the relatives would be appalled if their payouts came from the same, shrinking, MOD pot that is being used to supply front-line troops with better body armour and vehicles.

It might have been a systematic failure of the MOD in the case of XV179 but the real blame lies with Tony Blair and the labour government who lied about the reasons for being in Iraq.

Sue his government not the MOD - and maybe the individuals who didn't pass on the intelligence or who were responsible for evaluating tactics in theatre.

Last edited by Blighter Pilot; 15th Apr 2009 at 08:54.