PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 07:40
Bug Smasher Smasher

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
The whole last on first off principle is likely to be enforced but on a fleet by fleet basis. Read the award - Mmmbop - it doesn't specify that OVERALL seniority will be used during redundancies.

Ideally the company would love to trim off the bottom of the overcrewed fleets rather than doing a huge retraining shuffle. I'm pretty sure they can do it. AoA I'll take that bet!

Keep in mind though, VR will probably rear it's head before you see forced redundancies. Sure it'll involve retraining but I think it'll help keep the pilot group on side and it seems the current management is more eager to do so than it has been in the past so who knows.

The company will have an extraordinarily hard time head-hunting individuals for redundancy. I can't see that happening at all so rest easy troublemakers.

Here's hoping all those seeeeenior captains whose investments tanked will realise you don't need squillions in the bank, or markets, or property to kick back, sink piss with your mates, play golf, road trip with the missus (or mistress), fish off a beach, play lawn bowls, watch the cricket, play with the grandkids, etc, etc. The world is yours fellas, leave the flying to us, you've taught us well.