PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Pilot Jailed
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 04:48
MrWooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pilot who says that he can hand fly the aircraft to the same accuracy as the autopilot is bull****ting. I am a very good hands on pilot, over 15,000 hours, military and airlines, but I would rather thrust the autopilot in bad weather. I suppose that why the majority of pilots use autopilot in bad wx. Its not about EGO, ego is "I can fly as good as the autopilot", being a good pilot is using all resources to achieve the safest outcome.

Its not just about accuracy of flying, its also situational awareness, by freeing up your processing skills (using the autopilot) you become more situationally aware, you have more peripheral vision. You can react quicker to external events.

Experience levels can go the other way, the are plenty of times the FO and even SO has more experience than the captain.

We are not talking about spurious situations where the IAS is + 20 over Vref, or a bit high on approach. We are talking about a situation which most people on this forum would agree, was a blatant life and death situation.

I'll say it again, this is about getting FO's to speak up and act if required. Ithinkso, put yourself in the FO shoes, at what stage would you take over, or would you just let the capt land because it is his aircraft.