PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Pilot Jailed
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 03:21
ithinkso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOPs

Many airlines, have SOPs that require F/Os to hand fly from below 1000' agl. The reason for this is: many F/Os especially the ones who have come on line in the last few years, (boom time employment), simply have substandard aircraft handling skills. Even Qf at one stage did this in the 737 fleet as the newly upgraded 747 S/Os couldnt hand fly the aircraft.

As far as the F/O leaning over and putting the gear up during an approach, this is just pure fantasy. It may have averted an accident but it would simply NEVER happen. If an F/O did it to me, he certainly wouldnt be employed by the airline after the landing. Management would 100% agree with my last sentiment. There is only ONE captain.

Garuda, is by far, the safest indonesian airline. I would not fly with them. The rest of the industry in indonesia is a completly farcical shambles. Garuda's accident prevention program consists of buying new airplanes. They dont tend to crash as often. (statistically).

Pilot training in indonesia is below the standard enjoyed in western nations. With a bit of cash, you can buy anything you want. That goes across the entire society.

Why does Aust allow Garuda to operate to and from Aust, have a read up on your politics. That may help.

Asian nations are VERY nationalistic. How many foreigners have been given Thai licences. Not permits to fly, but actual licences. F*ck all. Life is cheap, so are airplanes, big populations, people gotta travel, people gotta fly. As long as the backhanders keep flying so will the airplanes and the shonky airlines that operate them.

Unpleasant, but the reality of Asia.

rant over!